Monday, April 2, 2012

a new spring top... pattern review

As much as I love making quilts and crafty things, my first love was sewing clothing. When I was a little girl, my mom made most of my clothes. As soon as I could convince her to let me touch her machine, I started making my own! Ironically, the first thing I remember making to wear was a yellow top (a halter top to be specific. We're talking late 60s, early 70s here! You get the picture). Well today I took time out to make myself a new yellow top.

I had looked at this pattern several times & finally bought it recently. It's a Simplicity Lisette pattern, #0353. It has a dress, skirt and top in the pattern, but it was the top that grabbed my attention. I have my eye on some London Calling fabric at The Quilt Asylum to make one of these tops, but I thought perhaps I should make one out of some 50% off fabric from Joann's first! I wanted to be sure it fit right before I spent more money on great fabric.

 The top went together very quickly! It would have been even faster if my machine had been cooperating. For some reason, it was skipping stitches when I topstitched. I tried everything I could think of to fix it. I took my machine apart and cleaned it really well, made a new bobbin, changed the needle, etc etc. I just think it wasn't happy with the feel of the fabric. I don't really know! Anyways, I got it done.

Here's a shot of the front.....
 I took a picture of it on me, in the mirror, but I will spare you that image. Let's just say I looked really dorky! The shirt, however, looks and fits great. I shortened the sleeves (we're really out of long sleeve weather here in Texas already!) and I probably should have shortened them even more. I will on the next one I make. I would shorten these, but, well, I really don't feel like fighting with the skipped stitches again. Nuff said.

What I really loved about this pattern is the back!
I love the detailing and the pretty gathers. Almost makes the front look boring I guess. I'll just have to wear a pretty necklace to snazzy it up!

All in all, I would recommend this pattern. It was easy to follow and true to size. A win!

2 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Very pretty Ellyn!

Maria said...

A beautiful Spring top Ellyn.