Saturday, March 21, 2009

odds & ends

First off, I promised to let you know what Allyson loved at the quilt show! She seemed to be attracted to quilts with real images on them.... like these chickens!


And this flower with birds....

trees....

and even vegetables!

but we both agreed that this was the coolest quilt of all. It's actually 5 quilts! If you look closely, the center circle in each layer is open, showing the layers behind it. It was really neat the way it was done.

Allyson bought a charm pack of the Dots and Stripes fabric line from RJR Fabrics. This picture is of fat quarters, but you get the idea...


Today she decided to make a quilt out of them. First she laid them all out on the floor of my sewing room (I wish I had taken a picture of that!) Then she began sewing them into rows...

She would sew a row & then I would press it for her while she sewed the next row.....

Then I pinned the rows together & she began sewing them..... by this time she was doing the pressing herself!

She has asked for her own sewing machine for her birthday this summer, & I do think that is a reasonable request (especially if I want to do any sewing myself!)

She has two more rows to sew, & then she wants to add borders.... I will share a picture of it when it's all done. She's doing a terrific job!
As for me, in my cleaning spree this afternoon, I found a stack of flannel baby blankets all cut, pinned & ready to sew! So I finished those up (six of them!) and they are ready to gift to the next lucky babies to arrive in our lives. Check that off my list!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! A new quilter! She looks adorable at the machine! So cute! I sure wish I could have inspired my son to piece -- he's just not interested! :(

xoxom