Monday, August 8, 2011

Doll Quilt Swap tonight!

Do you remember this little sneak preview I gave you a while back? Well here is the finished product! A doll quilt for the swap tonight at The Quilt Asylum:




The challenge was to use circles in the quilt somehow. It could be polka dot fabric (now aren't you surprised? I didn't choose that option!), yoyos, buttons, a circle shaped quilt, whatever we wanted! I decided to applique my circles. After quilting the background, whole quilt style, I hand appliqued the circles & the scissors on top and hand embroidered the details. I also added some bright buttons just for fun. I decided to use "create" and "sew" as my theme, thinking that it is something all of us in the swap have in common, our love for creating.


Something new I tried, I used Karen Buckley's Perfect Circles templates to make my circles. They were fun and easy to use. You cut your circles a bit larger than the template you want to use (1/4 inch all the way around will do) then run gathering stitches around the edge. Place the plastic template in the middle of your circle (wrong side up) pull your gathering stitches tight. Then you head to the ironing board, spray your circle with spray starch and press it flat. Loosen the stitches, remove the template and WOW! you have a perfect circle. Pretty cool.


I can't wait to see what the other gals in the swap have created. I promise to come back and share some more with you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

it's gorgeous! you have a very lucky swap partner, can't wait to see what you get too.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Nice! I like you interpretation of the theme. Well done.