Saturday, June 25, 2011

A quilt for my sister

I probably didn't pick the best day to photograph my latest quilt! It's been really windy here lately. And Lexi was trying to get in on the act.... no silly dog, this is not for you!

Finally, after snapping away for quite a while (with poor hubby hanging onto the quilt behind the fence! His arms were getting tired I'm sure) we got some great shots.

The first time I saw the Sherbet Pips fabric I fell in love with it and knew I wanted to make a quilt for my sister, Diane. The little girls swinging on the swings, scooting on scooters, playing & having fun, so reminded me of her when we were little girls. She was always on an adventure, whether it involved swinging higher than anyone else or hanging upside down on the monkey bars. I don't think I appreciated it at the time, but Diane has always been the brave one of the two of us.


Me? I was the one hiding up in the branches of the crab apple tree, reading a book. I didn't mind reading about other people's adventures, but I didn't really create any of my own.


So I made this for my sis. I hope she likes it! Even now, all these years later, she's on one adventure after another. And I'm so proud of her.


Here's the scrappy back of her quilt.... with a scrappy binding too. Now that was fun to do! But then I love doing bindings. I know not everyone does!


I wish I could have gone to Ohio with my quilt to see everyone there, including Diane. I sent Miss Ally instead! Because, well, she loves a good adventure too!

5 comments:

Maria said...

I am sure your sister will just adore her special quilt. Love the story you told about when you were both young and that the fabric remined you of it,
Hugs
Maria XX

Lisa said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I love the Sherbet Pips range.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

very nice! I'm sure your sister will love the quilt, Ellyn. Great gift!

Anonymous said...

Ally showed it to me while she was here. What a wonderful gift to give and receive!! I'm sure Diane will treasure it.
Tracey

Melissa said...

What a lovely quilt Ellyn! I love the windy photos.