Monday, June 27, 2011

Mom's Button Tin

What is your earliest sewing room memory? For me, it goes back to when I was a little girl. I remember Mom would give me her button tin and I would spill it out on the floor (gosh, I think she gave it to me! Maybe I just took it! Nah, surely she gave it to me.)
This was before I was old enough to sew, maybe four or five years old? I would sit on the floor of Mom's sewing space for hours sorting buttons. Mom will probably laugh at this and say it wasn't hours but minutes? But the way I remember it, I could play with her buttons for hours. Seriously! I would sort them by color, then by style, then by size.....

Years later I would give my own children my buttons to sort. Now I understand that this is a good way to keep a child busy so Mommy can sew! But when I was a little girl, I just thought it was a wonderful, fun thing to do.

About 10 years ago my Mom & Dad moved across country. They had a big garage sale back in Ohio to clear out some of the odds and ends they had collected in 40+ years of marriage. I asked my Mom if she was getting rid of her button tin.... and lucky me....
Mom brought it to me! So now I have a wonderful home for my buttons AND a constant visual reminder of my awesome Mom. Thanks Mom, for letting me sort your buttons.









3 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

What a sweet memory and now you have the tin. I started sewing just a few years ago but I remember getting into my Grandmother's button box when I was little (she was a seamstress). I wonder if she still has it. I'll have to ask her.

Digital-Grace said...

I wonder how many little girls played with their mom's or grandmother's button tins? I spent countless hours with my moms button tin. She gave me her doughboy (the piece of furniture she kept her sewing items in) - sometimes when I lift the lid I still expect to see the button tin sitting in there waiting for me. Thanks for the memory L!

Melissa said...

What a sweet memory and how lucky you are to have the tin. My earlist memory is simply wearing the clothes that Mama made for us - I don't remember a time when we didn't have something that Mama made. I honestly don't remember seeing her sitting at the sewing machine, but she must have spent hours there because she made all three of us girls clothes over the years and even made me a jacket to match my wedding dress when Robbie & I got married.