Sunday, October 20, 2013

Original Sewing & Quilt Expo

I am home from the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo in Fort Worth, TX. My buddy Trae & I decided to go for the whole three days of the Expo and I'm so glad we did!

We met some really awesome folks! The very first day, Kay Whitt from Serendipity Studio had a fashion show of her designs on the main stage. I've made a couple of her patterns before & they are fabulous! Well written and adorable. After the fashion show we wandered over to the shop that was selling her patterns and she was there meeting folks. We had a nice long chat with her and purchased her brand new bag pattern. I plan to make one of the bags up in the next couple of weeks and will share it with you then. I have to say, Kay was so sweet and friendly. It was a treat to meet her.
Thursday evening Trae and I took a quilt class from Rachel Griffith (PS I Quilt). We worked on Rachel's "Impromptu Quilt" and I hope to have a completed quilt top to share with you this week (there, I said it! Challenge on). Rachel is so much fun, and I need to be completely honest here, Trae and I were the class troublemakers. Rachel accused me of being a stalker of her blog/instagram/facebook but now we are friends, right? And if anyone is a stalker, it's her (I see you reading this Rachel! I'm totally on to you).

 There were several cool quilt displays, including this challenge by the Chicago Modern Guild. My blogging friend, Sally, had this quilt on display....
I almost felt like I got to meet Sally face to face since I got to pose with her awesome quilt!

The best part of the Expo for me what all of the wonderful classes. The teachers are outstanding and I learned something new from each one of them. Here are the classes I took:

Impromptu Quilt with Rachel Griffith

Delightful Wool Flowers with Barb Callahan

Clothing Zakka Style with Linda Lee

The Creative Business Model with Barb Callahan

Your Sewing Space: Make it Work with Debra Justice

Fabric Meets Metal Bangle Bracelets with Tammie Campbell

I will share more about the things I made/learned/bought in future posts. If you get the opportunity to attend an Original Sewing and Quilt Expo, go for it. You won't be sorry!

3 comments:

Sally said...

I am so very tickled that you were able to take a pic with the quilt that I made! I can't wait to hear all about the things that you learned.

The quilt expo is going to be here in a couple weeks, but I don't think I'm going to take any classes.

prsd4tim2 said...

Sounds like a blast. Can't wait to see all your finished projects.

Antoinette said...

That is so cool! Quilting / sewing shows are such a great opportunity to be surrounded by like-minded people and beautiful fabrics.