Monday, July 7, 2014

teaching kids to machine sew day one

Last year I had a group of young crafters come to my house every day for sewing camp. We did all hand sewing projects and they had a blast! This year, 2 of the young ladies asked if they could learn to sew on the machine. At age 11, I was confident that they could handle it. Today they arrived for their first lesson.

I found several awesome resources online for free printable sewing machine worksheets. The girls loved doing them and quickly became comfortable sewing on my machines. They did most of the worksheets without thread in the machine, but for the dot to dot it was fun to stitch with thread until the picture evolved!

Here are links to the sites where I got the printables:
Free craftsy download by So Sew Easy
Free sewing sheets by Skip to my Lou
Free sewing practice sheets by Crunchy Frugalista

The girls got so good at it today, they began sewing fabric squares together for small quilts. I'll share more about that tomorrow!

3 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

thanks for sharing the links. I may print some out for Punk to get a bit more comfortable with the machine. She does great but gets tense with the process.

Melissa said...

How FUN to see your young sewers back at it this summer!

Beatrice said...

Hello, thank you for sharing! Practising on paper and without thread is a great idea!