Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Teaching kids to machine sew - first quilts!

I have a huge bin of 5 inch squares (come on, tell me you don't?) and I let the girls dig through them yesterday to plan their first quilt tops. We talked about value, showed how different fabrics show up best next to contrasting fabrics with a different value. We also talked about math (haha they were so very pleased about this! NOT!). Both girls laid out their planned quilts on the floor.


Then they began to sew them together. They did a really great job, with only a few small appearances of the dreaded seam ripper.

By the end of the day today, we had 2 completed quilt tops! Here they are with one of my teen helpers
Tomorrow I am taking them to Hobby Lobby to pick out backing fabric and binding, then I will quilt the quilts for them. And on Thursday we have a fun field trip planned! Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Sally said...

This looks like sew much fun! I can't believe the got those whole tops sewed together today. That's great!

Maria said...

What fun playing with all the squares and getting them sewn into a flimsy. Great job girls...

Melissa said...

They did great!! (And, no, I don't have a pile of squares! LOL)