Thursday, February 14, 2013

patchwork scarf tutorial

Remember the fun scarf I made myself a while back? I promised you a tutorial. And no, I didn't forget. I made this version so I could teach you step by step....


 First off, gather your fabric for the patchwork side. For this scarf I used 16 4 1/2 inch squares. This makes a scarf about 64 inches long.... nice and long! If you want yours shorter or longer you can subtract or add squares. It's totally up to you. Just for fun, I made a couple of my squares out of 4 different 2 1/2 inch squares....


Now sew your squares together, end to end, in an arrangement that is pleasing to you. Use 1/4 inch seams....


You will need a piece of flannel for the backing that is exactly the same size as your finished patchwork. One width of fabric won't be long enough. Don't worry about it! Cut two strips and sew them end to end to get the length you need. Now lay your patchwork and your flannel right sides together....


and stitch 1/4 seam all the way around, leaving a gap (about 3 inches) for turning...


clip your corners and flip your scarf right side out. Press it well, pressing the seam allowance in the gap to the inside. Topstitch all the way around....


 Well that's pretty! you could wear it just like that if you want to. But why not fancy it up a bit more? First, using 2 strands of embroidery floss, blanket stitch all the way around your scarf. Bury your knots inside the scarf like you would if you were quilting. Make your blanket stitches about 1/4 inch apart.



Now get yourself a skein of yarn (I used wool ease, any worsted weight yarn will work just fine) and a crochet hook (I used an F hook). Loop your yarn into the top of a buttonhole stitch and single crochet all the way around, one single crochet in each buttonhole stitch. Stitch three single crochets in each corner. Join with a slip stitch when you get to the beginning.

Round 2: chain one.* skip one single crochet, do 5 double crochets in the next stitch, skip one single crochet, single crochet in the next stitch. Repeat from * all the way around creating a pretty ripple edging. Join with a slip stitch when you get all the way around. 


Look at that! you did it! I knew you could. Now wrap that fancy scarf around your neck & be warm today! Oh, and if you make one of these, please add it to my flickr group so we can all see it!

this scarf is available in my shop if you really don't want to make one yourself!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Super Cute! Can't wait to make one for myself.

Raquel Blanco

Melissa said...

Cute scarf!

Chelley said...

Love this! Thank you for writing up the tutorial!

Deborah said...

This is adorable. Thanks for the great tutorial!!

Sarah_L_N said...

Oh yay, I remember you posting the first one you made and so wanting to make one myself! I think I'm going to have to, it's just so cute. And there was me thinking sewing and crochet couldn't be more fun, now I can put them together in the same project! Thank you for the tutorial :)

Sally said...

This is so sweet! I definitely want one of these for myself! Maybe I'll buy a charm pack of that posie fabric and put together a cute springy scarf!

Christine said...

adorable! Thank you for writing this up.