Thursday, July 5, 2018

Be Calm

You might remember these tiny improv blocks I made way back in January. 

They sat in a box, forgotten for several months. A few weeks ago I came across them and decided they needed to become something. So I pulled out my low volume scrap bin and turned them into nine patches (each one measuring 3 1/2" square)
in my low volume bin I found some 60 degree triangles already sewn together (I wonder what those were for? I have no idea!). Some of the triangles were even improv pieced. Hmmmmm....
I was on a roll now. I added some x blocks...
and some improv polka dots
An instagram friend said my creation spoke "be calm" to her. I made improv letters so now it literally spoke it...
A little rearranging and some tumbling triangles down the side and I had a quilt top!
Far from my usual riot of color craziness, isn't it? But in this world of constant bad news, it's just the message I needed. Maybe you need it too?

Once I got the quilt top together, it NEEDED to be quilted. I had borrowed Jacquie Gering's Walk book from our guild library and found so many great tips in there for quilting small quilts with my walking foot. I started with vertical lines, 1/2" apart. my intention was to add horizomtal lines to create a grid. Again I was coaxed on instagram (thank you Debbie!) to add diagonal lines to the mix. She was right! It was exactly what I needed...

A faced binding finished it off. An unplanned project but I'm so glad I took the time to make it happen!



3 comments:

Debbie said...

oh yes, I need that message too! I love your quilt and all it's components. Fun that you found some triangles you had already pieced. ;-) And of course, I think the quilting is perfection.

Maria said...

It's amazing what you found and put together .Great message .Looks fabulous.

Jayne said...

I love this!!! Well done!