Wednesday, June 11, 2014

the placemat project

I love fun swaps! A few weeks ago, Amber threw out an idea on Instagram for a placemat swap. She called it the placemat project. The idea was that each participant would share what colors/style of fabric placemats she would like to receive. Each of us received four names and preferences to make placemats for over the summer. Every few weeks we would mail one out. The placemats are all the same size (12x18 inches). By the end of summer, we will each have received four different, but coordinating placemats from four different people! Fun! I knew I wanted to play along. 

My first 2 placemats have been sent & received so I can share them with you now. Placemat #1 went off to Tsoniki who lives overseas. I was so nervous until I knew she had received it! She requested mostly yellow with some red. I had fun learning to sew 60 degree triangles on her placemat!

 I decided I would make a coordinating patchwork dishtowel to send with each of my placemats....
 My second placemat went to Sarah. In keeping with my "learn something new" theme, I dug out a tumbler template I had been wanting to experiment with for a long time. Sarah said her kitchen was olive green and I knew these fabrics from my stash would do the trick!
 And with her dishtowel....

I received my first placemat from Hannah and it blew me away! She says this was her very first time doing paper piecing. WOW!

My request was for red & aqua placemats with some black and/or gray. This is stunning! and while the temptation is to hang my placemats on the wall as mini quilts, I am going to use them on my table. I have been wanting patchwork placemats for many years and now I will have some! In fact, I have decided to make four more, all different, placemats to add to my collection so I will have a total of eight. Stay tuned for updates as I receive and mail out more!

3 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Very nice! I've been itching to do a swap. Your placements are lovely and I'm sure the recipients loved them.

Melissa said...

Such a FUN swap! Of course, the yellow one is my favorite! The one you received is perfect for you - I think it'll be FUN to have a variety in coordinating colors.

prsd4tim2 said...

Wow! The placemats you made are awesome! And the one you received is so dramatic. I'm sure I would hang it on the wall too. Sorry I missed the swap. I'm kind of starting to miss them.