Monday, July 4, 2011

New top for me! Pattern review

I got a new shirt while we were on our trip. Well, no, not exactly. I bought a pattern and fabric at Spool in Philadelphia. And I MADE myself a new shirt when we got home! It's Kwik Sew 3848, a basic tank pattern with 2 views. I made view B, a pullover version. View A has buttons down the front, pockets (which I would probably leave off) and gathers in the back. I think I will make this again in view A. It was very clear & simple to make. I used a Kaffe Fassett fabric, very soft & lighter weight than quilting cotton.

Even though I measured carefully (both me AND the pattern pieces) the shirt ended up way too big. Sigh. Actually it is not terribly big in the side seams, but the armholes are very deep and the neckline is huge. I can't wear it without something underneath (thus the peach tank). Disappointing because the pattern cover did not indicate that the neckline is large. I am thinking it is sized properly for smaller sizes but for some crazy reason they assumed that if you make the size bigger you have to make the neckline & armholes enormous. Beats me. Anyways, I still like it & will wear it with the tank underneath. If I make it again I will add darts to the front before I do the facings. I think that will help!

Oh, I also chose to curve the bottom of the top instead of leaving it straight. It's a pretty long top, below the hip, so this looks nice.

On another note, I received these pictures of little miss Mackie, wearing her fourth of July dress & hairclip that I sent her. I thought I would share them with you on this festive day!





I just realized that this is my 299th blog post! Hmmm may have to dream up something special for the next one! Happy Fourth everyone. Enjoy your families & festivities.

2 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Happy 4th to you and your family, Ellyn! We're not doing much of anything today. Cute tank even with the big neck and arm holes!

Unknown said...

Thank you for following my blog. I wish you the best with teaching your church girls to sew! Good luck in the contest :-)