Monday, January 20, 2020

January reads

In addition to quilting and weaving,  one of my favorite things to do is read. I read a wide range of books, from nonfiction to fiction. I thought I'd share some of my favorite books with you here from time to time. This month I've already read two great reads, both nonfiction.

My first finish of 2020 is The Moment of Lift by Melinda Gates.
I picked this one up from the library on a whim. I'll be honest, I didn't know quite what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. In this book Melinda, wife of Bill Gates, tells her story working with the philanthropy foundation she created with her husband. Much of the work they do encompasses the rights of women around the world. She tells detailed stories of women she has met, mostly in Africa, and how they have been able to impact families through women's health, education and services. Maybe because of my own recent travels to Africa, I was able to understand clearly the challenges these women face. This is a five star read in my opinion. It left me thinking and wanting to learn more.

My second finish of the year was a Christmas gift from my hubby ( umm yes, it was indeed on my Amazon list which I provide him a copy of every year. Please tell me I am not alone). It is Find Your Artistic Voice, by Lisa Congdon. I have been a big fan of Lisa for a long time. If you want to follow her on instagram, you can do that here.
Lisa is an artist/illustrator with a very distinct style or voice. In her latest book she helps other creatives find their own voice. I found this to be very inspiring. Again, I was left thinking and exploring which is always a good thing! I recommend this one to ALL of my creative friends. Again, five stars!

Are you on Goodreads? I track all of my reading there. You can follow me here.



1 comment:

Made by Mrs Jones x said...

I love seeing what other people are reading. The Melinda Gates book appeals to me.