Saturday, May 20, 2017

the endless warp

A couple of months ago, I warped my rigid heddle loom with double strands of 8/2 cotton natural yarn, so I could experiment with weaving some new rayon chenille yarn. My intention was to weave the whole warp with this yarn, and possibly make the finished fabric into a garment. Turns out rayon chenille is a bit of a pain to weave. The project kept stalling. Rather than let it sit much longer, I finally decided to do some different things with the warp. Today I finally took it off the loom!

Here is the piece of chenille I did get woven, before I wet finished it. It was rather stiff and obviously not big enough for a garment! haha

After I machine washed and dried it, the fabric is incredibly soft! Not sure what I'll do with it, but it's beautiful
I wove the rest of the warp with doubled strands of 8/2 yarn. First up, a striped pattern to make a pillow to coordinate with the ones I made last month at Kathie's. This is just plain weave.

Another plain weave stripe pattern where I did some color play and added in a lime green. Another pillow to be made. 


Then a red waffle weave towel....
Even after all of this, I still had quite a bit of warp left! I decided to play with a pattern that uses 2 pick up sticks, just to learn. I loved the effect......


Unfortunately, after I washed it and it shrunk up (a lot!) the pattern is kind of a  mess. I think tomorrow I will try wetting it down & blocking it to see if I can create something useable.

It's interesting to see all of the different things I can do with the same plain warp! Finished projects to come...




3 comments:

Debbie said...

That IS interesting to see everything you can do! A whole new world! ;-)

Ondrea said...

Oh my! You are a master weaver girl! I am sure you can work out something to make with the chenille. LOve all your other weaving. Have fun.

Maria said...

You are having sew much fun playing with all the different yarns and patterns Ellyn. Very interesting.