Thursday, September 22, 2016

quilt guild challenge

Well hello friends! I honestly didn't mean to take a blogging break. To be truthful, I've kind of been jumping from project to project lately, not really finishing anything. Until today! Whew. I finally have something to share with you.

At our last meeting of the McKinney Modern Quilt Guild, we were issued a new challenge. First off, we all brought a one yard piece of fabric that was one of the two Pantone colors of the year. (let me just say, WHY ARE THERE TWO? pick one, silly people! Also, seriously? I feel like I'm back in the 80s with mauves and blues. Ok. I'm done ranting.) So, anyways, everyone brought a yard of fabric in either rose quartz or serenity. Then we had a "one yard rip off". Has your guild ever done this? I know I've told you about them before, but seriously, so much fun!  And you go home with a fun stack of fabrics to make a challenge item out of. Awesome, right?

Until Alice comes out with the dreaded bag of paint chips & adds a twist to the challenge. UGH! I pulled out a bright yellow paint chip that I had to incorporate into my challenge item. Oh joy!

I wanted to do something modern and learn something new. I had been eyeing this tutorial  for a modern wonky churn dash block, so I started cranking them out. Combined with lots of negative space, some simple straight line grid work quilting and some matched binding and this is where I ended up....
Not horrible, right? I mean, in better  colors, it might actually be a cool baby quilt. I especially love my tone-on-tone churn dashes that kind of disappear into the background fabrics. 

Something I learned..... although Jennifer at 42 quilts (the blogger who wrote the block tutorial) says it's ok if you lose your points off the edge of your block, the blocks I like the best have all of their points in tact. If I were to do this again, I'd be more deliberate in my cutting. Personal preference, that's all.

So there you have it. The challenge isn't due until November, but mine is done! Now I can move on to other fun things (and hopefully check back in here sooner rather than later). 

4 comments:

Debbie said...

oh I like it! I especially like how you used the yellow as part of the background. AND I like your churn dash blocks way better than mine! Good job on the challenge imho.

Chantal said...

It turned out so well Ellyn. That matched binding makes it awesome. Love the wonky churn dashes too. Well done on your challenge.

Maria said...

Well done with the challenge Ellyn... Your wonky churn dashes look great and I think the quilt would be great for a baby...

Ondrea said...

You are always up for a challenge and that is probably due to the fact that you always succeed. It looks wonderful, very clever. Great idea for a baby quilt.