Thursday, August 25, 2016

Triad meets McKinney swap


I'm so happy I can finally share a finish (and one of my third quarter goals for the finish along!) Earlier this year, the McKinney Modern Quilt Guild (my guild, here in Texas) set up a mini quilt swap with the Triad Modern Guild in North Carolina. It was fun to be assigned a partner in another guild who I had never met! When I got Kim's info, I learned that she liked foundation paper piecing (among other things) and loved the colors "plum pink and pickle green" Hmmm! Not colors I had a lot of in my stash, so off I went shopping! Also, I had been dying to try lillyella's Take Wing pattern and this seemed like a great time to do that.

Now that Kim has received her quilt I can share it with you here! I love the way this turned out. The pattern stretched me (and perhaps proved to me that I have finally somewhat mastered paper piecing!). It's a complex pattern but totally doable if you take it one section at a time.
I took my lead from lillyella's pattern and machine quilted radiating lines around the butterfly, which matched my quilting skill level (aka beginner) and made the butterfly look like it was in motion which I loved.
I would love to make this pattern again and highly recommend it to all of you.

I can hardly wait for our September 6 meeting, where we will receive our minis from the swap!

10 comments:

Chantal said...

It is absolutely gorgeous Ellyn. I love the butterfly and the fabric choices. The quilting is perfect too. You have got to make one for yourself now. Love how you fussy cut the dots to appear in the wings. Makes it look so authentic. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Lisa C said...

Beautiful!

Debbie said...

This looks really fun to make and turned out beautifully! Awesome job on the fussy cutting and fabric choices!

Sally said...

Very pretty! I'm sure your partner was beyond tickled to receive this quilt! I do like pickle green :)

Maria said...

That's stunning Ellyn.. Fabulous quilting and I love the colours....

Ondrea said...

That is a beautiful mini! LOve those colours and your quilting is fantastic. A treasure.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry I didn't see this blog before now! I just want to express how much I love the mini you sent me! I have made this pattern several times and I know what goes into it. Thanks again! You did a fabulous job! ������

Linda said...

That's cool. You did a great job.

Nicky said...

Lucky partner to receive such a great mini! It does show a talent for paper piecing and the quilting looks great. Congratulations on the finish and thanks for linking up to the FAL quarter three on behalf of your team of hosts

Emily said...

It's lovely! And I love the quilting! I will have to remember it. Straight line are the only quilting I can do consistently well.