Friday, March 4, 2016

modern coasters

Tuesday night at our meeting of the McKinney Modern Quilt Guild, we had a modern coaster swap. The challenge was to make four 4 inch coasters and bring them to swap. We got to share with the group what our thought process was making them and what makes them modern. Inspired by these, I made mine while I was at the retreat a couple or weeks ago....
Mine are constructed totally differently from hers. It was fun to make some tiny quarter square triangles for the center (finished at 1 inch) from some of my solid scraps, then add grunge borders. The modern elements in my coasters are use of solids, minimalism, use of negative space and straight line quilting.
I had so much fun making them! I even made a second set to use as a hostess gift last weekend. I can see myself making lots more coaster sets for gifts in the future.

So, the swap..... everyone put their name in the bucket 4 times. When it was your turn, you shared your coasters and your story, then drew out four names and distributed your coasters to those members. Each of us ended up with a mixed set of coasters. Here are the lovelies I came home with...
The top left one was made bye Rebecca (in my colors! I love it so much!) but the pink flying geese was done by Sarah (Sarah is the queen of tiny patchwork and LOVES pink), the Kaffe friendship star was made by Elizabeth and the text print pinwheel was made by Martha. I think they are all wonderful! What a great swap. Have you swapped anything fun lately?

3 comments:

Maria said...

Sew many different versions of MODERN... All nice...

Debbie said...

very very fun! We are doing a mini mini quilt swap at our guild next week. You can see a start of mine in my Ig feed - on my ironing board. ;-) I just need to bind...

Ondrea said...

Very clever. Too nice to use.