Wednesday, July 30, 2014

pillows

The girls came to put backs on their pillows today. Two of them finished up their pillows. I always put a band of contrast on the back and they liked that idea so I taught them how to do it too....
 The third pillow will be finished soon. The maker decided to add a lot more hand quilting to the front of hers, so it is taking a little bit longer. Didn't the girls do an awesome job?

After I took them home (with a stop for lunch on the way!) I came back to make a few pillows too. Ally had requested some throw pillows for the dorm and had picked out colors she wanted them made in. Three are simple squares, but on the fourth she requested that I applique her name. Not something I am great at! But I did it and I'm quite pleased with the results....
 and the backs....
In case you are curious, the backs are two pieces overlapped (envelope style so they can be removed & washed). I simply band the top piece with a strip of contrast, just like you would do a binding. On these I tucked a piece of ricrac underneath so it peaks out. Oh, and the orange ones needed a bit of an extension so I made the contrast a little bit wider. Easy as pie and it adds a bit of pizzazz to the back.

That's what I've been up to today! what about you?

3 comments:

Maria said...

Both Pillows look great girls..
Ally's pillowswill look fabulous in her dorm.
I love the way you do the back of our pillows... Use my everyday.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Great job girls!! Love the contrast band. Never thought of doing that. Ally's pillows are great and you did awesome on the applique piece.

Melissa said...

The girls did a great job & Ally's pillows are so FUN & happy!