Monday, February 4, 2013

gluten free baking...

 because seriously, if I don't bake myself a birthday cake, who will? This was my favorite cake growing up and even as an adult, it is what I would request for my birthday. A well loved recipe, can you tell? It even has high altitude adjustments written on it from when I lived in Colorado.


 Lemon Jello cake! Of course, since going gluten free more than 4 years ago I can no longer have a regular, box mix cake. I have been saying for a long time that I was going to try to make it gluten free and today I finally tried it! I have not been able to find a gluten free lemon cake mix so I bought this Pamela's vanilla cake instead. It makes a 9x13 cake, unlike most of the gluten free mixes which only make a small square cake.  I added some lemon juice to the mix instead of the vanilla they called for. Otherwise I made it exactly the way Mom's recipe said.
 And look at this! It looks fabulous..... and it smells so good. I'm having a really hard time not eating it right out of the pan for lunch.

I think we will taste test it after dinner tonight, before I spring it on my friends at crafty Tuesday tomorrow. You know, like the king's testers? Just to be sure noone dies....

And to make this day even sweeter, they had daffodils at the grocery store this morning! Maybe the groundhog was right after all. It does feel like spring here in Texas.



I'm so happy I get to share my birthday tomorrow with friends, sewing and crafting, just the way I like it! I'll let you know how the cake tastes.

5 comments:

Patty Sumner said...

Well Happy Birthday Ellyn! I can smell that lemon cake here. It looks delicious and I am sure those who get to taste it will love it! So glad you had a good time for your B-day! I sure do hope Spring will be here shortly...I am so ready for it! Birthday Blessings!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Happy Birthday a day early! The cake looks great and your King taste-tester comment had me chuckling. :)

Sherry said...

Happy Birthday Blessings Ellen! Have a "Sew" Happy day!

Melissa said...

Can't wait to try it out!! :>)

Maria said...

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday Dear Ellyn,
Happy Birthday to you...

Have the best day my friend...

Your cake looks yummy and I love the Daffodils..

Hugz
Maria XXXXXX