Monday, December 31, 2012

how about a stitchalong?


So I've been thinking about something fun we can do together in 2013. I've really been enjoying creating new embroidery patterns lately. Then we received a challenge at our last Bring 'n Brag meeting, to do a project each month based on an assigned theme. Bingo! I will create a simple embroidery pattern for each theme to meet the challenge. Then I thought, wait! I could share them on my blog and we could all stitch together. When we're all finished, I'll give you instructions to turn the 12 squares into a wall hanging for your sewing space.

The designs will be simple to do. You will need to know some basic embroidery stitches (backstitch, chain stitch, french knots, running stitch, lazy daisies). If you google these you can find lots of tutorials and videos online. I won't bore you with more here, since so many others have done a great job already. You might want to use the next few days to practice!

Also, you can gather your supplies. You will need:

A 6 inch embroidery hoop
embroidery needles
a needle threader if you're blind as a bat like me!
scissors
3/4 yard of good quality white cotton fabric cut into 12 8 inch squares
1 1/2 yards of pellon shape flex (a woven fusible interfacing)
12 5 inch squares of print fabric. I am using squares from a charm pack of Sew Stitchy if you want your finished project to look just like mine. Otherwise, choose fabrics that you like.
several colors of embroidery floss to coordinate with your fabric (again, if you want to do what I do, my colors are DMC 225, 318, 666, 747, 3806 and 3846)


Iron a 7 inch square of the shape flex to the back of each square of white fabric. This will give you a good base for your embroidery. The shape flex adds stability and helps to hide those wandering knots and threads on the back of your pieces. 

I would suggest getting a gallon zip loc bag to store your stack of fabrics and supplies. You're going to need to find them every month people! DON'T LOSE THEM! (can this happen, you ask? I assure you, it can.)

Ok, now you're ready! So here's the deal. On the first Friday of every month I will provide you with the pattern for the month. Each square will be only 4 inches finished. You can do this! So check back here on Friday, January 4 and we'll get started!

3 comments:

Maria said...

I'm in Ellyn. sounds like fun....

Sherry said...

Sounds like fun! and I can order the charm pack from Amazon! Looking forward to the year.

jbsews said...

I'm going to give this a go! Sounds like fun. :-)