Tuesday, July 3, 2012

fusion blanket crochet along

yes I've jumped on another bandwagon. Sigh. But seriously, I had pinned this blanket a long time ago on Pinterest and when Little Miss Shabby and others decided to do a crochet along I took it as a sign that I was supposed to play along. 

The cool thing about this blanket is that it combines sewing and crochet skills. Most people are using quilting cottons for the center squares (and since it calls for 5 inch squares, charm packs are perfect). You know me, I had to try something different. I had a bundle of flannel fat quarters that have been sitting in my stash for a while, so I cut them up into 5 inch squares and set to work....
 Hmmm my first attempt was less than perfect. The yarn I had chosen was way too thick and created a ripple/ruffle effect. Not what I was going for! Back to Walmart I went for baby weight yarn. Well look at that! Much better!
 Each block uses 2 different squares, here's the back of block number 2.
 Quite a difference. Now I am busy cutting the border off of square number one so I can reuse the flannel.
Feel free to jump in and crochet along with us!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Those are really cute, but I think I'll have to pass on the crocheting because of course I'm spending all my time moving stuff.

Lisa said...

I love that it has both sewing and crochet!

Deborah said...

These are lovely!! You have a great blog......love your work!

Sally said...

I can't wait to see this one when it is finished! I thought about joining, but I just have way too much going on right now. Plus, I never finished the Birdie Stitches which is the last thing I joined.