Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A new skill

It's always a good day when I learn something new! Today I took a handquilting class at my local quilt store. What fun! I didn't take any pictures at class (I was too busy!) but here are a couple of pictures of my very first try at hand quilting...

My stitches were far from perfect, but they got more & more even as the day went on:


We learned two different techniques. I will have to practice my rocking motion (and find a thimble that I like!) but I know it will get easier & faster with more practice.

I really enjoyed learning this! I have always loved handwork, since I was a little girl. I do lots of embroidery, blanket stitch applique & love hand stitching my bindings on quilts. Oh! and hand stitching wool felt:

So sad our Rangers didn't win the World Series, but they had a heck of a season! Way to go Rangers! I made this in honor of you....

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Love that stitching!

Melissa said...

Well now I know why you weren't at the book club meeting today! :>) My mama handquilts all her quilts - the one she made for me this year is an extra large king size! She must really love me. Looking forward to seeing more of your handquilting!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Looks awesome! I would love to learn hand quilting but with all the typing I do all day, I get hand fatigue at night and I have a hard time doing anything hand sewing. Hand sewing on bindings kill me.