Sunday, May 2, 2010

almost like the Food Network!

About two weeks ago I was sitting in a waiting room with my friend Jill & she started telling me about this amazing recipe she had seen in a magazine for stuffed flank steak. It sounded so good.... & then we got onto another topic & I forgot all about it.


A few hours later, I was sitting in another waiting room, alone this time, flipping through a Woman's Day magazine when I saw it! A yummy looking recipe for stuffed flank steak.... I texted Jill "is this the recipe?" "Yes!" was her answer. hmmmm I'm gonna have to try that one!

fast forward to yesterday. Check out our dinner!This was fun & not hard to make. My hubby & I enjoy cooking together & trying out new recipes, but we just haven't had time to do it lately. Last night we made the flank steak together! I mixed up the filling (spinach, feta cheese, an egg, some olive oil & bread crumbs, gluten free of course), while he butterflied the flank steak. Then we spread the mixture on top.....
And rolled! Ours worked out better when we cut the flank steak into two separate pieces. The hardest part of this whole process was finding the butcher string at the grocery store. As you can see, I did find it eventually...Here's my handsome co-chef with our rolled flank steaks ready to cook.
Now you rub the rolls with more olive oil, salt & pepper, & brown them up in a skillet...
Then put them on a roasting rack & pop them in a 425 oven for about 40 minutes....

Slice it into lovely pinwheels & serve it up! This was a big hit. Delicious!

It's been about a year & a half since I was diagnosed with celiac disease & had to go gluten free. I've been through several stages since then..... first I was totally overwhelmed & sad to lose my favorite foods. I ate a lot of plain chicken breasts, veggies & white rice for several months. Then I started exploring other gluten free options at the grocery store.... prepared foods. Some of them were ok, some were AWFUL! But guess what? When you take the gluten out of prepared foods, you have to replace it with something. Most of these foods were very high in calories (& not so high in taste!). So I bought some gluten free cookbooks & found some decent recipes in those....

Only recently have I been brave enough to take a "normal" recipe out of a magazine & convert it to a gluten free version.... like this one! This was a success. I will continue to try!










3 comments:

Lisa said...

YUM! That looks so delicious.

Amy said...

That looks really good! And your husband looks too happy! LOL

Maria said...

That looks delicious Ellyn.