Friday, April 2, 2010

Happy Easter! And a spring pattern review

I hope you all have a wonderful Easter weekend with your families. My kids are home today (Steve is still snoozing, no surprise there! That's what 17 year old boys do on their day off. Ally has a friend here to hang out). It will be just the four of us for Easter dinner. We've gotten pretty used to that, being far away from our extended family. We will come home after church & make a nice ham dinner. Oh, & the kids will help out with the annual Youth Group Pancake Breakfast before church. It will be a nice day!


When Ally & I were in Ohio, she kept noticing cute ruffly skirts for spring. She asked if I would make some for her. Why not? I picked up a couple of different patterns. She chose the fabric for this first one:

This is McCall's 5920. It's a girls pattern, goes up to size 14 which fits Ally perfectly. She normally wears about a size 5 juniors. The pattern has 6 different views with different yokes, ruffle combinations, etc. This is view D.

The pattern went together very easily and I finished it in one day. The yoke is nicely lined, encasing the top seam. If I make this view again, I will do the ruffle on the bottom differently so that the bias tape above encases the bottom seam. Other than that, I would do it exactly the same. Even the zipper went in smoothly (in the back).

The fabric we used (the green and the pink) are both Michael Miller fabrics, sorry I don't know the line (it's Whimsy, I just found it!). Oh, & you will be seeing more of this fabric from me soon. Ally had me buy extra to make a coordinating outfit for a certain little cousin who she (and I!) is particularly fond of! You'll have to keep checking back for that!

Ok, I am off to bake a cake (quit moaning! It's going to come out perfectly this time!). All of you have a wonderful Easter!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

That is a very pretty skirt, and it looks great on your daughter.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Very pretty skirt, Ellyn! Happy Easter to you and your family. I'm off to hide the Easter Bunny basket!