Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Spot On

Time for some catching up! Back in January my pal Debbie was cleaning out her stash and gifted me a beautiful stack of improv hourglass blocks she had made last year. 


I had a wonderful time assembling them into a quilt top, adding a scrap or two of my own alone the way to make things fit. As I assembled it, I began adding appliqué dots here and there, because, why not? The Modern Quilt Guild has recently embraced Maximalism as an element of modern quilting and I thought this was the perfect opportunity to get on board. 


I attached the spots with hand stitching (blanket stitch with #8 perle cotton). If you look closely, you can see that I stitched some ghost circles into the background as well.

My friend Martha popped it onto her longarm and added free motion loops and circles I finished it off with big stitched binding. Such a fun collaboration with friends! I love the quilt, which finished at 46"x54".


You can read Debbie's account of our fun collaboration here. 

2 comments:

Maria said...

You’ve done a beautiful job putting Debs blocks together into a lovely quilt .
I love how you added the spots…

Debbie said...

Yay! It's so fun! Thanks again for making something wonderful from those blocks, Ellyn!