Thursday, September 4, 2014

Bee Blocks

I've never been part of a swap bee before. I've always wanted to do it! I see all of the fun bee blocks posted on Instagram and always think "that would be fun". So I decided to see if anyone in the McKinney Modern Quilt Guild wanted to form a bee, and what do you know? We had enough ladies sign up to form two bee groups! I went ahead and made myself the queen bee for my groups first month. I chose the asterisk block in reds and aquas. Here are the sample blocks I made up using this tutorial:
Look how neat and tidy the backs look if you press them the way the tutorial says....

 I asked the gals to make me a pair of blocks and to begin with an 8 1/2 inch square. These are the fabulous blocks I received on Tuesday night....
Don't they all look terrific together on my design wall floor? I will trim them all up to the same size and play with some layouts. I really do wish I had a good space for a design wall. hmm...


5 comments:

Melissa said...

What a FUN bunch of blocks you have to play with now!

Maria said...

Such fun to be in a bee.. I joined one for the first time this year...
Your Red,Aqua and White cross blocks do look great together. Have fun playing with placement.

Maria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chantal said...

Hi Ellyn! Beautiful blocks! Well done. If you enjoy swaps join us at SWL on 13 Sept for a Halloween Mug Rug Swap. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Very cool! I like how you appointed yourself the first "Queen Bee" for your group. Nice. :)