Saturday, April 19, 2014

getting ready for summer

Spring is here (FINALLY!) and summer is right around the corner. As much as I hate the summer weather in Texas, I am looking forward to some things. For one, our new house has a beautiful front porch. Yesterday we bought some new furniture so we can sit out there and watch the world go by (aka spy on the neighbors, HA!)

Another thing I'm looking forward to this summer is teaching sewing to the teens from church. It's been a while since they've come over. They're just so busy! I want to teach them some new quilting skills, but making a whole quilt is probably too much for their schedules. I came up with the idea to teach them some new things making pillows! That way they can finish up a project in a day or two. So far I have 2 pillow samples ready for them. This one, using 4 economy blocks to make up the front...
And this one, with half square triangles (which they can have great fun arranging in any configuration they want.)
 Did you see who is helping me in the studio today? Lexi loves the sun that comes in through my skylight!

I'm a fan of dressing up the backs of pillows too, usually with a little ric rac. The first pillow has contrasting ric rac tucked under a binding...
 I didn't have contrasting ric rac that worked on the second pillow so I used a matching ric rac along the edge....

So, in making 2 pillows they will learn to make economy blocks and half square triangles, do some straight line quilting on the machine and big stitch quilting by hand and learn to assemble envelope style pillow covers. Should be fun!


2 comments:

Melissa said...

I was just thinking the other day that your front porch would be perfect for visiting & now it's all ready! :>)

Maria said...

I do love your front porch setting. maybe you could sit and hand stitch out there now...
WOW ! both pillows look great and your girls will enjoy making them soon.